I was not able to blog on my completion of my project due to a lack of time so I thought I would touch breifly on the final process now. I originally expected to complete my project on Friday without any problems, but as there was an issue with scheduling I was forced to complete my project by Wednesday instead. I knew this was going to be difficult but I welcomed the challange. I spent from six to ten in the library printing, cutting things out, and putting some pages together. I then went back to my room and worked until one in the morning. I was suprised with my focus and I can honestly say I did not take any breaks in bewteen because I knew I had so much work to do. Assembling a scrapbook took longer then I could have ever imagined, and even after I was done putting all the pages together I still had to decorate all of them with stickers which took a decent amount of time as well. I have never been so happy to complete something like I was when I finished my scrapbook. I think all my hard work paid off and I was pleased with the end result.
I did not get the time I had planned or wanted to prepare my presentation, but I had a free before class that I had a little time to put together what I would discuss. I came into class nervous that I was ill prepared for my presentation, but as I was presenting I was suprised at how naturally it came to me. I was unsure that I was going to be able to talk for the whole fifteen minutes but as I was wrapping up I realized I could have easily talked for another ten minutes. I enjoyed sharing the scrapbook I had put so much effort in with the class. I also suprised myself with how much I enjoyed reading my work. I read a few stories to the class and they reacted very positively and laughed at some of them which made me feel good. I wasn't nervous speaking in front of the class, and I have definately come a long way from my first presentation in front of the class at the beggining of the year. I improved upon my speaking skills by gaining cofidence in my public speaking due to the fact we had to do two presentations on our projects. I ended up enjoying these presentations which I did not think was going to be possible. I was also able toimprove my speaking and listening skills by conducting interviews with the eleven people included in my scrapbook. I was forced to be serious when talking to them, which was a little bit of a change of pace. I do not think my project tested my listening skills as much as it could have, but I am not too worried about this considering I think I have made huge improvement on my listening skills this year in class. Mr. Igoe has taught me it is important to not only listen to your peers, but to also respond to what they are saying.
As for my other skills, I think I was able to become a better reader by setting myself deadlines. I knew when I wanted to finish reading the poetry books by, and I gave myself a reading goal for everyday. I also enjoy reading poetry so this made things a little easier. I beleive my writing improved during this project as well because I started off nervous to write true stories. At first my stories started out factual and boring but once I realized how to make them more descriptive and intresting they got more fun to read. I also loved writing poetry for my project. My thought process was constanly being testing during this whole process, and it was challanged the most editing my stories and making them better.
I think for me one of the most helpful things about this project was the logs. I did not love to write logs because sometimes they can be tedious and slightly annoying, but in the end I think they really helped me. I always procrastinate so I thought this would be the case on my senior seminar project, but it did not turn out happening. I was pleased with myself that up until the last minute schedule change I was able to manage my time appropriately.
This final project was a great oppurtunity to delve into an area we really enjoy rather then doing something that is required of us. I think this was a chance to provide an outlet to our creativity and I liked doing this project. I am glad I picked my project because now I can look back on how I spent my senior spring, as well as my time at LA as a whole, doing things I enjoy doing. I am happy I made a scrapbook because I will have it forever and it is a fun peice I can show my family and friends. I had a fun time doing this project and I think the seniors next year will share this feeling.
No comments:
Post a Comment